Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Family Reunion and the Glamorous Days of Motherhood

This past weekend we went to a family reunion for Brian's extended family at the YMCA of the Ozarks in Missouri.  We got there late Wednesday night and left Sunday.  It was a good long weekend of swimming, archery, lots of eating, and lots of laughs.  Sadly these are the only two pictures we got of the weekend.  


We stayed in a four bedroom/four bathroom cabin with all of Brian's immediate family.  Their were eight adults and seven kids in our cabin, plus two other cabins.  The food was provided and I think I ate more in those 3 1/2 days than I have in the last two weeks.  It is probably good that I don't have someone to cook for me three meals a day.  Two nights while we were there, they had firework shows.  I was nervous about Noah getting scared, but he, in usual Noah fashion, loved every moment of it, clapped after every firework,  and cried when the show was over.  We stayed up late every night visiting and playing games.  We (at least Noah and I) were very worn out by the end.  We had a lot of fun and look forward to going back in 2012.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today was one of those days that just don't seem real at the end of the day.  It started out like any other day, Noah and I eating breakfast together.  That's where the routine ended.  We have a very old stove, circa 1980s.  It has a timer on it that we never use and I had never heard it before until Noah figured out how to turn it on a few weeks back.  The noise scared him and he hasn't really messed with it since then.  Until today.  He managed to turn it on again.  I quickly turned it off, however about a minute later, it came back on.  I, again turned it off, and it again came back on after about a minute.  We did that for about 15 minutes until it came on and I couldn't turn it off at all.  After several futile attempts to turn it off, I decided to turn off the breaker.  Unfortunately, our box is not labeled very well, aka barely at all.  I spent the next 30 minutes running back and forth between the oven and the breaker box trying to find the right switch while carrying Noah and Rudy was of course tagging along close behind. In the midst of everything I received an encouraging and helpful text message from Brian  saying "Don't turn the refrigerator off."  Thanks Sweetie.  What would I do without you?  
After all the excitement, I tried to lay Noah down for a nap hoping for some rest myself, but to no avail.  He would have none of that.  Oh well, at least he will take a long nap this afternoon, right?  We packed up and headed to Wal-mart before lunch.  Our trip there was actually quite uneventful.  Then came lunch where Noah, our little tortilla snob, decided that he did not like the brand of tortilla that we had purchased and proceeded to take all the tortilla off his cheese quesadilla and eat only the cheese.  After a while, he gave up and just threw it all to Rudy, another no-no.  After lunch we played for a while and then it was really time for a nap.  Did Noah agree?  No.  He cried for a while, but eventually fell asleep.  FINALLY time for me to get that nap I was hoping for.  False.  Just as I was about to lie down, Noah wakes up screaming.  So much for the nap I was hoping for.  We layed on the couch together for a while and watched an episode of Handy Manny, Noah's favorite cartoon. After a while, we had a snack.  While Noah was in his high chair eating his snack, he pooped.  Dirty diapers are never fun, but especially not during your first trimester of pregnancy.  I get him out of his chair and start walking back to his room to change him.  I was rubbing his back and felt something.  When I looked at my hand, it was covered in poop and up to Noah's shoulder blades.  He hasn't had one of those in about a year.  I stood him up on his dresser and start the difficult task of undressing him without making any further messes.  I got him undressed and diaper off and then the morning sickness (why is it called that anyway when it lasts ALL DAY LONG!) got the better of me.  I started vomiting in Noah's room.  I puked into his dirty diaper, grab Noah (still covered in poop) and race to the bathroom.  I continued to vomit trying to keep Noah back while he is laughing at me and trying to both stick his hands in the toilet and flush it.  Meanwhile I am yelling at Rudy while he is trying to lick all the poop off of Noah's back.  It was a pretty memorable experience.  I finished up, wiped Noah down, and threw him in the tub.  While Naoh was still in the tub, Brian calls to let me know he is coming home and see how our day was.  It was FANTASTIC!  Fortunately for me, I have the BEST husband in the world, who after a long day at work, came home only to clean up the trail of poop and vomit we left all over the house.  I think it is safe to say that we are both ready for the first trimester to be behind us. :)  Here is Noah after his bath, looking like it was the best day ever!


And, yes, that is a TV cable that my son is playing with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment