Thursday, February 2, 2012

Three Years Old


Noah turned three on Monday. I can't believe it has already been three years since he was born. I can remember coming home from my doctor's appointment where she told us that she would like to induce me because my blood pressure was high and crying. Crying because I was afraid and didn't know if I was ready for the challenges of being a parent. I can remember loading in the car that night to go to the hospital. I remember family coming in that night and the next day. I remember the excitement of the next day and the anticipation of your arrival (I had a really good epidural so it was actually fun and exciting). I remember how long that day of labor was and being so tired of waiting at the end of the day. I remember you finally coming and how hard it was and then you were here. I remember the next hour being a blur as they took you out of the room to resucitate you because you weren't doing very well after your tight nuchal cord. I remember you coming back into my room with lines in, wide eyed, and looking like you were ready to eat. I held your hand and then they took you to the nursery. Your Daddy was really nervous and worried about you, but I knew you would be okay. I got moved to my other room and pretty much passed out from exhaustion, but your Dad went to check on you because he didn't want you to be alone and wanted you to know that we were here for you. It all seems like yesterday... and now you're three.
The last three years have been some of the best of our lives. They have not always been easy. You have definitely been a challenge along the way, especially in the last six months, but they have been very rewarding. Just when I am at the height of my frustration and don't think I can handle anymore, you will melt my heart by snuggling up to me and saying "Mommy I wuv you." One night recently, Daddy was at work, Esther had been screaming in her bed, and you kept getting up. I was tired because we had been working on potty training which is EXHAUSTING. I was at the end of my rope and just started crying. You got out of bed, once again, saw me crying, and said, "Mommy you are sad? My teetee in the potty will make you happy." I couldn't help but laugh through the tears. I love you so much Noah.
Here is what you are up to these days:
- As I said before, you are a challenge. You never want to do things because we suggest them and have to figure things out on your own. We keep telling ourselves that someday, your strong-willed, independent spirit is going to make you a great man and leader, but for now it can be very trying and difficult. It is hard to be patient and watch you struggle through things, but I am learning.
- You go to "school" one morning a week and you love it. Everytime we drop you off, you just march on in and never look back, but you are always super excitd to see us when we pick you up.
- Your vocabulary is pretty amazing and you can annunciate quite well. It always makes me laugh when you break out some new word that you have heard somewhere that makes you sound so big.
- You love your family. In the past, you were definitely a Daddy's boy. I feel like recently you enjoy your time with Mommy more, but as soon as Daddy gets home from work, Mommy is once again forgotten. I love watching you wrestle and play with your daddy. You also love your sister. Bringing Esther into the family was a hard adjustment for you, but you love her so much now and miss her when she is not there. It is still hard for you when she goes after your toys. You try to stop her by pulling on her legs, screaming at her, or just tackling her, but you are getting much better at sharing with her. Inspite of your quarreling, you are so protective of her. If ever anyone gets too close to her, you are always there to make sure she is okay. She is so blessed to have such a good big brother.

- You continue to be a picky eater. You love mac and cheese, yellow rice, spaghetti, most fruits, and most vegetables. You still refuse to eat anything potato, don't care for fried foods, or casseroles. It still makes cooking a challenge, but we are all healthier because of it I am sure.
- We are working on potty training now. You have pretty much got it down, but you still do not like to poop on the potty. Slowly but surely we are getting you warmed up to it. It, like most changes with you, has been a huge challenge.
- You love to play with trains, cars, and airplanes or playing soccer, teeball, or 'golfballs' outside. You love playing with all your dogs and bears that you sleep with. Every morning, you come into our room carrying 'Baby Doggie' (Your favorite), 'Mommy Doggie' (a plastic dog with a pull string), Wishbone (the bear we bought for you in Gatlinburg, your second favorite), and polar bear. You quickly deposit them and run back to get 'Daddy Doggie' and 'Brian Doggie'. You have such original names. :) Every night, we have to make sure they are all in your bed, along with your giant shark. There is barely enough room for you left in the tiny toddler bed you are still sleeping in.
- You still take a nap most days, but you can go without. You just start getting crazy and have to go down early that night.
- You love to help out in the kitchen. You always take out the silverware and it surprisingly always ends up in the correct spot... You are pretty meticulous like your mom. Anytime I am making anything, you are always there pulling a chair up to help. You like to help me switch the laundry over and you always take care of Rudy, making sure he has plenty of food and treats. You try to help out with Esther too and as much as it is not normally helpful, it is very sweet.

We love you! Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment